Join a coalition of community groups learning how we can educate the public about the dangers of the TPP and ISDS in a community campaign. Next meeting Wednesday 7th May 10am at the Office of Green’s Senator Penny Wright, Level 3, 27 Leigh Street, Adelaide.
Leaked chapters from the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade negotiations and the recent Korea-Australia Free Trade Agreement, provide clear and chilling examples of how new modern trade agreements can have influence over significant areas of public interest and importance.
The Abbott Government supports ‘Trojan Horse’ provisions commonly called Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) clauses in current trade negotiations. Even former Prime Minister John Howard did not support ISDS in the last US Free Trade Agreement. ISDS provisions open a can of worms, and allows foreign investors to sue governments if their investments are ‘harmed’ by a national, state or local policy or law. We know from ISDS clauses in other so-called FTAs this mechanism could;
• Put at risk affordable medicines and Australia’s Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
• Attack moves to tighten rules on foreign investment in agricultural land and water
• Prevent moratoriums on genetically modified organisms and coal seam gas extraction
• Attack environment laws and legislation designed to address climate change; and
• Remove county or region of origin food labelling.
The Fair Food Adelaide Collective is continuing the campaign against the TPP, if you would like to be involved please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org…