Submitted by Cam Walker on Tue, 21/04/2015 – 15:41
The Coalition government is trying to silence anyone who stands up for the environment.
Some of their actions include:
- The new Standing Committee on the Environment review of tax deductibility for environment groups listed on the Ministerâ€™s Register (see below).
- The push by Minister Richard Colbeck for a secondary boycott ban to apply to environmental groups.
- The recently released â€˜Re:think, Better Tax system Better Australiaâ€™ discussion paper which calls for a review of the Not for Profit sectorâ€™s tax deductibility.
- The cuts to the Environment Defenders Office (EDOs).
- The government has axed the Grants to Voluntary Environment, Sustainability and Heritage Organisations to 150 groups in the 2014 budget. This program had bipartisan support since it was set up in the 1970s.